Expanded perlite ore is an excellent aggregate to add to growing mixes, or even on it’s own in hydroponics environments. It is a volcanic mineral, that when it is heated (to about 871C) the particles pop in a similar fashion to popcorn and forms a very light, white material.
Similar to expanded clay, each particle is made of many tiny closed air cells. Tiny cavities cover the surface which creates a very large surface area in which moisture is held. Roots therefore have access to this water. At the same time, the shape of the individual particles creates air passages between the particles and hence provides aeration and prevents root rot. Because it is sterile and appropriate fertilisers should be added. Different grades or sizes are suitable for different applications.
Advantages of Horticultural Perlite:
- Improves aeration and drainage
- Makes moisture and nutrients readily available to plants
- Is inorganic and does not deteriorate.
- Has an essentially neutral pH of 6.5 to 7.5.
- Serves as an insulator to reduce extreme soil temperature fluctuations.
- Is sterile and free of weeds and disease.
- Is clean, odorless, lightweight, and safe to handle.
Looking for Perlite for your beginner or pro set up? Visit Skyline Vape & Smoke Lounge today, or check out our online store for more.
We Don't Just Ship to Johannesburg, Capetown & Durban we ship Nationwide Anywhere in South Africa